A.Lange & Söhne 1815 And Saxony’s Important Scientific Institution

The 1815 watch series created by Lange A. Lange & Söhne reminds people of Ferdinando Adolf Lang grid. 1815 was also a turning point in European history: Napoleon returned from the last battle in Waterloo. The Vienna Conference established a new international order. In the new map, the size of the Kingdom of Saxony is reduced by a third compared to the original. Although Saxony’s political influence has been weakened, locals have made up for this by improving education, art and culture. The Dresden Botanical Garden, built in 1815, is one of the examples of the scientific enlightenment in the early 19th century, and Ferdinando Adolf Lange later realized his entrepreneurial dream.

Time Monument: 1815 UP / DOWN in Alpinum, Dresden Botanical Garden

 The history of the Dresden Botanical Gardens is full of interesting stories. In 1815, the Academy of Surgery and Medicine was allocated land to build a botanical garden. The inauguration ceremony was held five years later. One of the most well-known natural scientists at the time, Heinrich Gottlieb Ludwig Reichenbach, was appointed director of the botanical garden. Due to his good relations with the Saxony royal family, this newly established scientific institution enjoys special privileges and financial support. The botanical garden has collected as many as 7,800 varieties of plants in five years. This number is indeed staggering compared to similar facilities and explains why the Dresden Botanical Garden is so striking.
 At the beginning of the 19th century, Dresden also developed into a major area of ​​science. The Mathematics and Physics Salon has influenced the city’s technical culture and is the ultimate authority on all timing work. The Technical School (Technische Bildungsanstalt), established in 1828, offers different vocational training to maintain the rapid development of the industrial age. The ambitious watchmaker Ferdinando Adolf Lange was one of the school’s first well-known students.

Annual rings telling historical stories: 1815 RATTRAPANTE PERPETUAL CALENDAR on a cypress trunk

 The botanical garden has also evolved from a technical school to the scientific base of today’s Technical University of Dresden. With more than 10,000 plants from all over the world, it still ranks among the most important botanical gardens in Europe today. One of the special attractions in the park is the Alpinum with many stone columns, reminiscent of the basalt columns of the Giant’s Causeway on the coast of Northern Ireland. On the bottom of the cypress trunk that has been preserved to this day, the ring rings have witnessed many important years in Dresden. This is also the location for 1815 UP / DOWN and 1815 RATTRAPANTE PERPETUAL CALENDAR. These two models remind people of Ferdinando Adolf Lange and his legendary pocket watches.